Thursday, February 14, 2013

Toffee and Coffee

I conquered a fear. I made candy. I was terrified that it wouldn't work. But it definitely worked. Tuesday for snack I made two and a half types of toffee. The first batch was plain old butter toffee with chocolate chips melted on top. The second patch I threw some coffee in it to match the smitten kitchen recipe and then on half of it I sprinkled peanuts. And voila, I had two and a half different types of toffee. It was surprisingly easy. It took hardly any time. And other than the giant bucket of molasses mishap, everything went smoothly.


Chocolate melting in a 300˚F butter and sugar mixture

Interestingly the toffees came out two very different colors. It also effected their taste. The first batch was a deeper color and had a richer flavor while the second batch was lighter and slightly less flavorful. I dont know what I did differently to make the first one better, but in the future I am going to try and achieve the richness of batch number one. 



Breaking the toffee into bite sized pieces was half the fun. 

I have a new favorite candy. Fresh homemade toffee.

I was pretty worried that the toffee would fail so I made chocolate coffee shortbread cookies before dinner as a back up. I wasn't a huge fan of the way they turned out. They didn't have the typical melt in your mouth shortbread cookie taste. But they were a good addition to the toffee.








2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosssh the toffee looks so good! It was easy to make? I've never made toffee before but I really want to now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was sooo easy! Took all of about 20 minutes including getting all of the ingredients together. You just need to make sure you have a candy thermometer because the temperature of the candy matters. Other than that, easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete