Thursday, April 4, 2013

Snacks for Traveling

There has been a serious lack in posting lately. This is because last week was spring break! Which means there was no snack, and this week I was just getting home from the airport at ten pm so I wasn't able to make snack this week either.
However! I made lots of snacks for myself for the twenty hours I spent traveling to get to my love Sam Harrison. This post will highlight two of them.

I've always wanted to bring snacks/ meals for traveling. But I'm really bad at planning ahead and I am usually packing until two am the night before I leave so making snacks gets put on the back burner. This time, however, I had a few days of spring break before I left Berkeley and I didn't have much to do, so time to make snacks was abundant. First, I baked some more of the thick chewy granola bars that I made a few weeks ago. They were full of almonds, peanuts, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, almond butter and honey. They were delicious and filling, but got a little too crumbly as they aged.



I tried roasting chickpeas for the first time as another snack. Somehow the oven got turned off halfway through roasting them, but eventually they were crunchy. I think I could have roasted them a little bit longer to make them more crunchy but they tasted pretty good. I coated them with a sesame soy glaze which was really yummy. This is one of my favorite flavor combos. However, it made them a little messy, and after eating them I had oil and sesame seeds all over my fingers.

I also made an almond butter and jelly sandwich, and threw a lot of trail mix together at the last minute. I grabbed an apple and some leftover chips I had and I was all set! I didn't buy any expensive airport food, or unhealthy fast food. It was great and it made my trip slightly better even though I was sleep deprived and spent time sleeping in an airplane, airport and on a bus.

Finally, I whipped up some more toffee as a thank you to Sam and her roommates for letting me stay with them. (I had a lot of extra time on my hands...) Toffee might become my staple. I love it and I love making it!

I had a great time in Pennsylvania. It was so interesting to see how different going to a small liberal arts college is. I spent time with Sam at Juniata, in central Pennsylvania, basically in the middle of nowhere. It was so nice to finally meet all of the people she always talks about. Her school was so quaint, all of the buildings matched! Her classes were so small and with all of the same people. It was fun to sit in on them and see how they worked. I loved spending time with her and her school friends and getting a glimpse into their lives in a small town at a small college.
I also spent some time with my friend Chris from high school. It had been way too long since the last time we saw each other so it was great to catch up on each others lives. We had both been so many places and done so many exciting things since the last time we were together. He goes to school at Haverford College, just outside of Philadelphia. It's in a great location and in a cute suburban town. All of the buildings matched on his campus too! I don't know why this amuses me so much. We went into Philadelphia, and saw the liberty bell. We also shared an amazing mushroom tart and some fancy cocktails while we sat outside in the sun that came out for a brief moment. It was a great moment.
Overall the weather was so cold, and everyone kept saying how abnormal that was for this time of year. Lucky me. But it made me really appreciate the glorious weather we have year round here in California. Also, all of the trees were dormant and all of the grass was dead, green things were hard to come by. It was so wonderful to come back to Berkeley and be in the garden today surrounded by green things. It really made me appreciate living here and while I loved visiting Pennsylvania, I love living here!


No comments:

Post a Comment