Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chocolate Swirl Buns

The number of times I've heard "You are getting more and more like your father each day" over the past month is slightly ridiculous. I've heard this from my mother, my sister, and even my father. I've even thought it a couple of times. It's been a little surprising, but I think I've known I'm my fathers daughter all along. My sister is definitely more like my mom and I am very similar to my dad, and it gets more apparent each year.

Things we have in common: He started college as an Earth Science major. He loved hiking and being outdoors. He has a goofy sense of humor. He loves chocolate and good food. And the list goes on.
This last one inspired me to bake up a storm for father's day. It has been awhile since I've been home for fathers day so I made up for it by making him a ridiculously chocolatey breakfast and a peach pie for dinner's dessert.
Making the filling. 1. Chopping up the chocolate. 2. mixing in the sugar and cinnamon. 3. After adding butter for a chocolate butter explosion.



I've been wanting to make these for awhile but I knew I should wait til father's day to make breakfast decadent. My dad unfortunately had to work father's day weekend, but I think coming home to the smell of warm chocolate in the oven helped a little.

The recipe was a little complicated. Lots of waiting for dough to rise, but it was 100% worth it. The dough was really easy to work with, and I made them the night before, so the next morning we just popped them in the oven for 15 minutes and they were ready to eat.


When I was in Pennsylvania, Sam's roommate made cinnamon buns and cut them with floss. I thought it was such a good idea so that's how I cut these. It works great because it cuts from the bottom and top at the same time and you don't have the problem of squishing the fluffy dough when you cut the roll into 1 inch pieces. To cut with the floss, just slide the floss about one inch underneath the roll. Wrap the floss around the roll, cross the floss over each other once (as seen in the picture) and then pull. It should easily cut it from the top and bottom and give you a nicely cut, one inch thick chocolate swirl bun.  

Ready to wait for the next morning.

I cut the buns, and then let them "rise" in the refrigerator overnight. They didn't rise that much but kept pretty well in the fridge. It made the next morning way easier too. I didn't have to wake up super early to make these, just 15 minutes before my dad got back home and then we had fresh chocolate swirl buns to enjoy. 


The dough was very fluffy and the chocolate was very rich. So yummy. I could only eat one before my pre-lunch sweetness meter hit the over-indulgent setting. I'm not usually a sweet breakfast kinda girl. I like my eggs and hot sauce. I usually save sweets for dessert, but these sure were delicious. My dad helped himself to three so I think I can call them a successful Father's Day breakfast treat. 


Layers and layers of chocolate and dough in each bite.

My mom also enjoyed these. She kept telling me to take a picture after each bite. It was funny. 
If you have a special occasion to make a decadent breakfast, make these. You wont regret it.


I love you, Papa!

No comments:

Post a Comment