Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Orange and Cranberry Scones

Every time I make scones I remember how much I like them and how much more I like them when they are fresh out of the oven. I don't like to give myself too much praise. But these, oh these. These were little clouds of citrus-y tangy zesty perfection. They were everything I wanted plus a little bit of what I didn't even know I needed. I was so very pleased with how they turned out.



I made the dough the night before to save time on Tuesday. I multiplied the recipe by 6 so there was a lot of dough to work with. It was sooooooooooooooooo so so sticky, and it was very difficult to mix. I thought we didn't have heavy cream, but Meg found it for me at the last second and I think it made all the difference.



There are many variations to scones. There are the dense crumbly ones that you usually find in various cafes. There are scones that are more closely related to biscuits. There are sweet scones, or savory scones. And then there are scones like these, that are light, super fluffy and full of citrus flavor. I think I prefer the light fluffier ones to the dense and crumbly scones.


I cut them into triangular shapes for simplicity, rather than circles which require more effort from cutting and re patting the dough. I was surprised at how easy to work with they became after adding just a little bit of flour. They quickly went from a sticky scary mess to an easily formed disc. I was also very surprised by how much they increased in size! I would say they definitely almost doubled in size after baking.



I chose to disregard Deb's suggestion to use fresh cranberries (mostly because cranberries are not in season and we don't have any) and used dried cranberries instead. Our dried cranberries are pretty sweet, but also very tangy. They definitely brought a nice, chewy zing into the picture. As per Meg's suggestion, I used orange zest rather than lemon zest. I think I like the orange/ cran combo more than the lemon/ cran combo, but they both work very well. I was afraid with multiplying the recipe that the orange flavor wouldn't shine through, but it sure did. It shined right through all of that butter and flour. Well done.


Scone-henge

Possibly the best part was waking up the next morning, heating up a left over scone in the oven, and enjoying it with a cup of earl grey. If every day started this way, every day would be slightly better. It was a great morning. 

Recipe loosely based on: Citrus and Cranberry Scones


No comments:

Post a Comment